Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Managing employees in India

For a Foreigner or a Non-resident Indian coming and working in a country like India can be very daunting. First there is huge difference in cultures along with conversing in correct English. When I was studying in the UK for a post-graduate degree, I used to work to earn a bit of extra money. I had four employers during my total stay in the UK, namely a brokerage firm, KFC, Phones4U and Gnutrade N.V. My experience there as an employee taught me to be self dependent, honest and motivating to others. In my last company, Gnutrade N.V., I showed interest towards bring the customer support wing of the company to India, since I planned to come back for good. The company was delighted that this was another way of outsourcing which will save them money.

Back in India, I was all geared up to open my own company, and bringing in more work for myself other than the work from the UK based company. It was time I employed a few people who could help me smoothen out the day to day activities. The point where I stand now and look behind, I see a few employees who were self obsessed, dishonest and the least motivating people I ever worked with. Presently 2 people work under me and only one of them is a dedicated person like me. Managing employees in India is a huge task where you not only have to do your own work, but also finish theirs too just to save your own ass. Many employees who have worked under me lacked confidence, imagination, creativity, will power and most of all the discipline at the work place.

I do not say that all Indians are the same, but if one is working in a professional arena, discipline, honesty and hard work form the most important part of a job, which many Indian employees lack. This is where managerial skills of the boss comes in, getting work done is a more challenging task.

A manager can only see success in his employees if:
- he himself is disciplined in checking how his employees work and correcting them when needed.
- Answerable to the manager from time to time keeps employees under check.
- Placing realistic goals for employees keeps them interested in their work.

I hope these pointers are useful to both managers and employees to be best at their work.

No comments: